Accurate Moisture, Coat Weight & Film Thickness Profile Measurement
The Process Sensors Guardian-HD Web Profiling Series is a rugged and world-class analyzer used to measure moisture, coat weight, adhesive thickness, and web temperature for all paper, film, and web-converting processes. It provides a non-contact, non-destructive on-line measurement of a complete zoned web profile, helping operators reduce instances of edge curl and lay flat issues that can result from improper moisture control. This translates to improved quality and consistency, less waste, and a quick return-on-investment.
The Guardian-HD Series features a Near Infrared (NIR) sensor that connects to a traversing frame that continually scans material across the width of the web for real-time analysis of important quality parameters. Moisture and coat weight measurements from the Guardian-HD Series can be made on many substrates and for wet-end and dry-end application processes.
- Easy calibration, operation, and standardization
- Rugged, sealed industrial frame and linear actuator withstands hot and humid environments common with paper and converting processes
- 3 models to choose from - up to 100 total measurement zones and up to 100 different recipe codes (materials)
- Graphical display included
- Easily connect to closed-loop control systems or local alarms
- Automatic sync of roll reports to a local network
- Configurations available to monitor and control multiple Guardian-HD systems simultaneously
- Optional Ethernet IP, Modbus TCP/IP interface, or OPC server
- Minimize edge curl and lay flat issues with 100% real-time inspection of moisture, coat weight, thickness, and temperature of converting lines
- Decrease manual start-up times by 20%, eliminating the need for time-consuming lab testing and adjustments
- Each system can be customized to the width of the web, along with the ability to position the NIR sensor wherever it is needed
- Automatic edge detection feature senses roll width to streamline set-up processes, and realigns to accommodate web drift
- Reduce waste by instantly identifying production inefficiencies
Rugged NIR Scanning for a Complete Zoned Web
The Guardian-HD Series is the optimal moisture and coat weight control system that serves a diverse array of applications for the web converting market.
- Moisture and coatings on paper webs
- Thickness of hot melts
- Thickness of pressure sensitive adhesives
- Thickness of water-based adhesives
- Paper pulp
- Plastic film thickness
- Biax film
- PVB & EVA film
- Exit and inlet dryer moisture measurement
- Cast film
- Coated abrasives
- Wax coatings
- Extrusion coatings on paper/foil
- Moisture in corrugated board
- Pattern coatings (move and park)
- Flexible packaging
How It Works
The Guardian-HD Series features an NIR sensor that is connected to a traversing frame to continually scan the full-width of a web profile for moisture and coat weight parameters. Real-time data is presented on an easy-to-understand touchscreen display for cross direction web profiling, lane and machine direction measurements. In some configurations, larger displays with Windows®-based software are available for monitoring multiple line profiles at a single central console.
All Guardian-HD Series configurations allow for USB data-logging with the ability to export to .csv, .xml or .txt file formats.
Each Guardian-HD frame is custom-built for its specific application, and the analysis software can be pre-programmed for specific recipe codes for the material it is analyzing. The NIR sensor can also be positioned in different ways to accommodate reflective surfaces (common with wet-end coating applications) as well as horizontal, vertical, and under-side scanning.
Food Grade Option
- Hi / low moisture-only calibration check standards
- Data bus interfaces
- Simultaneous temperature measurement
- 4X alarm relays
- Light stack alarm