High quality pet food can lead to longer life spans, healthier animals, and less veterinarian visits and costs. This has resulted in a dramatic increase in the variety and types of pet food available as pet owners want the best for their pets at each stage of their lives.
In order to meet the demands from consumers, pet food manufacturers are finding solutions to automate, measure, and improve the quality of their products at every stage. KPM Analytics delivers critical insight and analysis throughout the manufacturing process:
- Raw material testing to verify supplier integrity and contract specifications
- Raw material testing to guide proper ration supplementation
- Raw material testing to control meal formulation
- Monitoring and controlling mixers and optimizing the addition of liquid fat
- Monitoring and controlling moisture levels in extruders and driers
- Verifying production batch values and optimizing fat spraying on pellets
- Verifying and documenting finished pet food label claims
Near-Infrared (NIR) Analysis
NIR analysis provides simultaneous measurement results for moisture, protein, fat, fiber, ash, and other parameters in less than a minute! Our solutions deliver 100% measurement of incoming ingredients and finished pet food. This speed, combined with guaranteed accuracy, allows manufacturers complete control of the food processing operation, maximizing profits and providing fast payback for the solution.
In addition to the NIR technology, KPM Analytics has a full suite of calibrations for finished pet food and ingredients. Finished dry pet food calibrations are available for dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, ferrets and other small mammals. With calibrations for over 70 different ingredients, virtually all ingredients used in the pet food plant are covered. For novel or proprietary ingredients, custom calibrations can be easily developed.
Vision Inspection Systems assist pet food and treat manufactures monitor many quality parameters in batches of extruded kibbles and treats including:
- Length & Width
- Average color
- Color blobs/regions (dark/light areas, foreign objects)
- Broken pieces
- Ovality/roundness (min, max, average)
- Irregular border (rough edges)
Easily define color specifications and acceptable upper/lower limits for each quality parameter you want to monitor on a product-by-product basis.
Using KPM technologies, pet food manufacturers can be confident in delivering a high quality finished product for their customers.