The Senior Buyer manages the procurement activities to ensure that materials are available and at the optimal value while maintaining the lowest inventory levels possible. Seeks to establish partnering relationships with key suppliers to maximize value (optimal price, delivery cycle, quality, and service/technical support) for our organization. This position reports to the Operations Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as primary contact between production and suppliers who support us.
- Place, track, and expedite purchase orders through the NetSuite ERP system.
- Establish regular communications with suppliers as necessary to maintain delivery schedules, quality, and cost.
- Order equipment, tools, and material required to support the business.
- Recommend purchases of materials based on anticipated changes in price or in unusual availability situations.
- Assist in selecting vendors, assist in assessing vendor capabilities, develop alternate sources, evaluate vendor performance, and negotiate price and delivery schedule.
- Make certain that purchasing documents are properly completed and verifies that the terms and conditions of purchases are appropriate.
- Assure that departmental records are maintained.
- Participate in weekly operations meetings and provide metrics on inventory and suppliers (price trends, marketing conditions, and delivery changes).
- Understanding of material specifications, drawings, schematics, and assembly.
- Provide support for receiving/inspection in the form of information and response to requests.
- Provide information as necessary regarding supplier deliveries or general business information pertaining to suppliers.
- Work with other KPM business units to consolidate supplies to achieve best pricing and availability.
- Work with manufacturing on supplier quality and MRB returns and credits.
- Analyze shortages and maintain inventory levels utilizing ERP system.
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline and a minimum of 5 years of experience in a supply chain role or equivalent relevant experience in a manufacturing environment (mechanical, electrical, or chemical industry preferred).
- Experience with lean manufacturing practices desired.
- Working knowledge and experience with ERP systems (NetSuite preferred).
- CPM or APICS certification preferred.
- Prior supplier relationship management with a history of demonstrated negotiation skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal stakeholders and external vendors.
- Strong organizational awareness - must be a self-motivated team player with a high sense of urgency, able to problem solve complex situations and creatively resource within a rapidly growing and changing environment.
- Analytical thinker with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Comprehension of cost/managerial accounting principles.
- Technically oriented to comprehend and translate specification requirements.
- Able to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively and be detail oriented.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Committed to excellence in all aspects of operational performance.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite including Excel or other analytical tools.